Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Lucas William {Two Months}

Dear Lucas,

Not going to lie, I have been waiting for this day since you were born. Although I am definitely, definitely not wishing away your newborn/baby-ness, I am so happy you are 2 months old today! You see, all of your anemia issues stemmed from my body attacking your red blood cells. And the doctors told us that red blood cells reproduce every 60 days....which brings us to today. I am hoping that 90% of your anemia is now behind us (I'm leaving a little 10% in there, just to cover those doctors who told us red blood cells can take up to 120 days to reproduce...but let's hope those guys are wrong, and yours have all reproduced in 60 days because you're an overachiever and awesome like that!).

Anyways, enough medical talk! Here are some 2 month (60 days!!) highlights:

Height: 23.5 inches (70 percentile)
Weight: 12 pounds, 1 ounce (41 percentile)
Head circumference: 39.4 cm (55 percentile)

Clothes: You moved up to being consistently in 0-3 month clothes around 6/7 weeks. I can still squeeze you into a few newborn things, but Daddy makes fun of me and let's be honest, they are a little tight. But I just can't let go! You are still rocking size 1 diapers. 

Nicknames: Lou-Lou, Baby brother, Luke, Lukey...Ella still calls you "Baby Woo-cus"

Milestones: You smiled this month! And also started laughing, as of yesterday! I just love when you smile and laugh; I could eat you up! You are much more alert than last month. You also have started cooing and it is the sweetest little sound ever! Your neck muscles are also getting stronger and you look all around in every direction. You can hold your head up really well for a few seconds during tummy time!

Sleep: THANK YOU for getting my memo on sleeping more at night, buddy! I am happy to say you are sleeping through the night probably about 75% of the time. Most nights, you go to bed around 10 or 11ish, and you will sleep until about 5 or 6 AM (sometime even 7 AM!). Sometimes, you still like to party at 3 or 4 AM, but it isn't happening as much as last month, so thank you for that!! You haven't been quite as sleepy during the day now, so I am thinking we might try to implement a nap schedule sometime soon. You will catnap in the car, but if we are at home, you are pretty much wide awake!

Best Moment: Taking you to the beach and the zoo! You are getting to experience things so much earlier than Ella did...but don't tell her, k?!

Worst Moment: When your hemoglobin went down to 7 at your 1 month check up and we had to get another blood transfusion. Yuck.

Likes: Kicking your feet, car rides, your wubbanubs, lights/fans, EATING, warm baths, being held, being on your tummy, your rocker chair, your bear mat (that you stole from Ella!), when we clap your hands for you and when we play "drums" on your tummy.

Dislikes: Being cold, getting out of the bathtub, when you have a really wet or really dirty diaper, when Ella smothers you (no matter how close we watch her, she still manages to sneak over and lay on you occasionally!).

Health: Still not perfect, but this past month was definitely an improvement from your first month! At your 1 month check up, your hemoglobin fell pretty low and you had to have a 3rd blood transfusion. But the silver lining to that is we got to go to an affiliate clinic so we didn't have to go back to the hospital and we are now working with an awesome team of doctors who really know what they are doing (not that our pediatrician didn't...these guys are just specialists in this field so they have a lot more experience with your condition)! We had your hemoglobin checked today and while it is still kinda low, your reticulocyte (how quickly your body is making new red bloods cells) was SO awesome that we don't have to go back to the clinic for a month! Yay!! 

Eating: You are still an awesome eater. You are nursing every 3 hours about 10 minutes per side. I haven't given you any bottles in this past month, but I would guess you'd need around 4 ounces or so?!

Another month in the books for you, sweet little Lucas! You just keep getting cuter, sweeter and most importantly, HEALTHIER as the days go by! We love you more than you know!

{And, just for fun...Ella at 2 months}


  1. I just have to say that you don't look like you have had a baby in the past 4 years, let alone 2 months!!!! You look great!!!!

  2. Happy 2 months Lucas! He is such a little cutie!